Pages

Sunday 11 November 2018

Weather and it's effect on everything

I grew up in Colorado and it seemed like announcing how humid it was anytime the level reached 30-40% or God forbid a whopping 60-70% right before the sky opened up and tried to drown us (for maybe 5-10 min) or punished us with horizontal snow.  I’m cursed (blessed?) with naturally curly hair so we always had a real time indicator of the increase or decrease of the levels.  High humidity for me turns my wavy, loose curls into something Shirley Temple would have been proud to wear, lower levels of moisture mean I gain an inch or 2 of length as all the ringlets decide to take a break and let themselves down.  So I’m sure you didn’t check into this page to get a vanity report on curly hair, but I bring this all up because I knew coming here to Northern England would make those quick ebb and spike in humidity levels look like chump change in the grand scheme of things.      So what I knew prior to boarding the plane, my hair would be ridiculously curly while I tried to cheer it along to grow faster and straighten out due to gravity, the temperatures would not be as extreme but would feel much warmer and colder, there would not be a rainy season alternating with an arid season (rain is possible anytime through out the year), and that things would be greener than I have ever experienced them year round.     So on to Recent weather (and some averages):
 NE UK  NW CO
Cloud Cover   75%  100%
Humidity   82% (0% chance of rain)  78% (66% chance of rain)
Average Cloud Cover   50-60%  25-45%
Warm Season   2.9 months 3.4 months 
Cold Season   4.0 months  3.3 months
 Growing Season  6.5 months  3.2 months
Sun Hour Range   150-300 hours  160-360 hours
Average Low Temp Range   2* C - 22* C  -5* C - 22* C
Latitude   55* N  40* N
Data for table from weatherspark.com Growing up in Colorado I'm used to Fall meaning growing things will change into brilliant colors due off and the color green will not be seen again until Spring.  Here in the Northern realm of the UK, there are piles of beautifully colored leaves right next to plants that continue to grow in spite of it being November.  It's amazing.   Enjoy the picture and I will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment